Monday, October 13, 2008

what's tough about being an only child?

You're the only one. The only one to take care of your mother when she is dying. The only one to take care of your father with whom you have never really had a good relationship. The only one to make a decision on elder care for a father who has always been strong and is in both physical pain from a terrible infection on his diabetes ravaged body and is mentally in pain because he can't be the strong father figure his only daughter has always know.

What's so tough about being an only child? There is no one else to share stories from when you were a child. There's no one else to share in the pain when you lost your mother and are watching your father grow weaker as he grows older.

What's so tough? There are only the memories you have...alone. The stories you try to share with your family who really don't understand or, maybe, don't care because they have their own memories they are building.

It's tough being an only child...even when you're 50.

1 comment:

Dither and Dash said...

I feel a related sort of feeling being an orphan, raising kids in a large extended family that has always been close and has never lost a family member. I have lost my granny, and then my grandpa who both raised me along with my parents, and later my dad and then my mum--4 of the 6 people who I lived with for 20+ years growing up. I often feel, when with my in-laws, how lucky my husband is to raise his kids in the presence of people who knew him when he was young. . .and sad that I have no one who knew me or who can share with my children snippets of my life story. That is lonely sometimes. Especially since my brothers do not know my children or get involved in their lives.