Sunday, January 18, 2009

This past week...

everything moved very rapidly from Monday to Friday. I had planned on taking next week of for a couple of reasons - one to complete the Cognitive Coaching Workshop (which is two days) and secondly to accompany my father to his doctor's appointment without worrying about rushing back to work. As it turns out, that is not exactly what I will be doing.

This past Tuesday, when I checked my voicemail at work (didn't get one minute on Monday to check messages), there was a message from the doctor at the Hyperbaric Medicine unit at TGH. He said he had an open slot for my father and wanted to start right away. I didn't return the call, as I was paralyzed with the thought of figuring out what to do. I called Dr. D at TEGH, and left him a message questioning whether we were going to proceed with hyperbaric treatment or not. Dr. D called Wednesday, indicating that the results of December's test were positive and that he recommended we schedule the appointment and start therapy. Wednesday, when I got in touch with Dr. E at TGH, he asked we come in the next day. I told him that it would not work for me as I had a number of work commitments, plus that I want him and Dr. D to actually TALK to one another before I would agree to take my father to any therapy. They spoke and later that day, we had scheduled my father for his first treatment on Friday morning. On Thursday, when we were confirming the appointment Dr. E suggested an addition consult with Dr. C at St.M's Hospital (this is the vascular surgeon) to look at the feasibility of vascular bypass. The appointment was scheduled for Friday after the treatment.

Friday at 7:00, I picked up my father and off we went to TGH. When we arrived, we were directed to change into the clothing they provide that is "tank safe" and my father entered the hyperbaric chamber for about 2 hours. After that, we cabbed over to St. Mike's and met with Dr. C (who has to be one of the biggest "downers" I have ever met). Dr. C is well respected (so I'm told) in his field, but bed-side manner is greatly lacking. He went on to say, basically, that he didn't think the hyperbaric treatment would help my father and that all doctor's have biases toward their area of speciality. Well, I guess you have to be a door knob not to know they have biases...DA! I expressed to him that I knew this fact but that, unfortunately, these doctor's were all I had in terms of opinion with which I could make a decision. As it stands, I am the sole decision matter, as my father as left it to me. Without siblings, the best I get from those around me who care about me is "it's really up to you Lillian...I don't know what to say." And what can people say, it's such an awful decision - to amputate and face an unknown future or to not amputate and die. This is what I have to decide for my father.

So, for now we are continuing with hyperbaric, but all that might change again on Monday, I don't know. My father said he got a call from TEGH, from Dr. D's colleague, saying my father should come in and get his intravenous pack removed. My father has had a portable intravenous antibiotics pack since August, and my understanding was it was staying until the hyperbaric treatment was over or until the amputation. Since the hyperbaric treatment has just begun and the amputation has not been planned...I don't know why he would call and say that!? We'll have to see on Monday. I'm hoping my father mis-heard him but don't know. I'm hoping and praying for the best but preparing for the worst.

No comments: