Sunday, July 5, 2009

Somebody has to bring up the rear...

Today was my first ride with the Toronto Bicycling Network. The TBN is a group of people who get together to cycle. There are five different levels - Leisure Wheeler, Easy Roller, Advanced Easy Roller, Tourist, and Advanced Tourist/Sportif. I joined the Leisure Wheeler with my two friends.

We met at a point on the subway line and set off for our ride. Down toward the beach, along the path parallel to the lake and then onto the Don Valley path. There was our leader at the front - Don or Doug (I didn't quite hear his name and I didn't see him once we were riding) and the sweep - Jamie (who I got to know). It was evident, rather quickly, that I would be the last cyclist.
At one point, we were so far behind, Jamie asked me if I was OK and, if I was, could I catch up to the group. I told him I was OK and that I could try to catch up, only the likelihood of my succeeding would be slim. Surprisingly, we did catch up...but that was because the group stopped at a light and were waiting for us!!!

I was my witty self, as usual...when talking with Jamie about the different levels, I asked if there was a "Training Wheeler" level...I thought that was hilarious, he didn't - he just responded "this is the lowest level." ;-) There was one hill I had to walk...Jamie very kindly said to me, "There's no shame in walking up a hill." My response was, "I have no shame at all, no shame in walking up a hill, in being last...and, frankly, I see myself as the tortoise not the hare in life." Slow and steady, that's my motto...not really, but my muscles were killing me and I wasn't about to share that (...although they may have figured it out when I popped some Advil).

Toward the end, my friends and I broke off and took the trail that headed home. Overall, it was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing it again. I think their next ride is Tuesday around Hogg's Hollow and I think I'll join them...maybe...

No comments: