Monday, July 6, 2009

Ups and downs

My father's health has been getting better, for the most part, these past few weeks. He was becoming more like himself, until this evening. Since he's been in the hospital, I've visited almost every evening for dinner. If I haven't been able to make it, one of my kids has. Last night, I didn't go and couldn't get one of the kids to go.

When I went to see him this evening, he was quiet. Not quite himself. He started eating and I helped, as always, we were talking but he kept asking if we were home yet. Or, can we go home now.
He talked about how quiet the house felt without music. I kept clarifying for him, telling him over and over, we're still in the hospital, it is Monday night and it is whatever o'clock.

I asked him how he was feeling and told him that he seemed off to me. Confused. That that worried me. He said, "what do you expect, I don't know where I am, or what day it is, or how long I've been here, or how much longer I'll be here."

So, really, what can I expect. How would I be in this situation? He's not been home for close to 5 months, he's been in two hospitals, and he's in isolation with no clear delineation of time. This is so heart wrenching hard for me, but really...how is it for him?

He repeated that it was so quiet and that he had no music or anyone to talk to. I told him I had his radio in my car and asked him if he wanted it in his room. He said yes and seemed happy, so I went out to the car and brought it up. I set it up to his favourite radio station and sat and listened with him. He quieted a bit and listened, then started dozing off to sleep. I got up to go which startled him a bit. I told him it was bed time and that I was leaving. He just smiled and said OK and we said our good-nights.

I feel like I pray all the time, and after evenings like this one, I can't stop praying. I want him to be comfortable. I want him to come out of the hospital and live out the rest of his life.

No comments: