Saturday, December 13, 2008

Driving with my son

We drove out to Oshawa to drop off my older son and on the drive back home there was something on the radio about a lottery jackpot and I said to my son "imagine having all that money." And the conversation that followed that comment went along like this...

He said, "Ya...I think if you had a lot of money you would be what they call a philanthropist"
and he went on to talk about how if he won money he would spend it on himself (typical teenager).

I asked, "What a sec...what do you mean philanthropist?"

He answered, "Well, a philanthropist is someone who helps people. And that's what you do, you help people. I think if you had money you would use it to help people."

I answered...well...I didn't answer...I was dumbfounded.

Insightful? I think so...I didn't even think my kids were paying attention to anything I do, for that matter, anything outside the centre of their universe - themselves. (lol) Wow...I need to figure out what to do with this.

4 comments:

Genie Sea said...

Wow indeed! That your son even noticed is huge! Says a lot about you (philanthropist), and about him (aware). :)

frustrated artist said...

The awareness part was what really surprised me too...

Serena said...

Our kids see more than we give them credit for....how lovely that your son recognised that beauty in you.

Genie Sea said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours! :)