Saturday, November 8, 2008

Long-term care

I met with my father's family doctor, Dr. WO, yesterday. I needed to get some repeats on prescriptions and ask the doctor for the referrals Dr. WE needs before he can test my father for the hyperbaric therapy. I also talked to the doctor about proceeding with filling out the paperwork for my father to enter long-term care eventually. Dr. WO mentionned that he was one of the doctors that works out of one of the long-term care facilities I was considering and that he could help get my father in if we decided we wanted him to go there. That is somewhat hopeful. In the meantime, I have to get my dad to have the tests he needs done, get his medications in order, and move forward from there...whatever "forward" is.

My son, P, told me about a former student from my last school who passed away recently at his own hands. It's so sad. I remember the student as being a dynamic, yet unusual, young man. One who was involved in various creative aspects of the school. He apparently was a talented diver and most recently an upcoming fashion photographer who was well known in that industry. It's always so hard to hear about the death of a young person. Someone who seemingly had everything to live for, yet, obviously had some demons of his own that he couldn't cope with. So sad, such a waste. Contrast that with my dear father who is fighting for his life.

2 comments:

Dither and Dash said...

I have spent time today trying to understand the death of our shared student. It worries me that maybe he was affected by an event the year before he graduated high school.

It just reminds me, as does your work in supporting your dad how precious the moments with others are, even when they are painful or draining.

And how fragile life is.

And how strong the human mind is despite the statement above.

And how we need to look out for the weak and share our strengths with each other.

frustrated artist said...

I'm never sure what affects the decision our student made that day or in the many days/months/years leading up to it. He seemingly had a "great life" outwardly. He was definitely gifted in a number of ways. But the battle within is sometimes insurmountable.